Friday, September 11, 2015

Why Dentistry

How I Came to Choose Dentistry

So my first exposure to the idea of dentistry as a profession came from my visit to UCSC's Pre-Dental Society. On that night, we learned about the DAT (Dental Admissions Test) and we did some practice problems. What intrigued me the most was the PAT (perceptual ability test) portion of the test. No other pre-professional exam had anything like it, and I began to see the kind of creativity and visual ability that is required from the profession. Because I loved to illustrate, I could see the relationship between art and dentistry, and I began to see dentistry as a possible profession.

Then I went to CDA cares. This was the event that completely solidified my decision for dentistry. CDA cares is a non-profit event that is held around major California cities and provides FREE dental care to anyone who can make it. I chose to be a translator for the event so I could have direct interaction with the patients. When I was requested to provide assistance at the back of the line, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how long the line was. It wrapped around the entire convention center, with several loops so the line wouldn't overcrowd the street. I've never seen so many people in a line that long, and seeing that it was for dental care, it surprised me even more. I saw people of all ethnicities, varying ages, and even college students. It was then it hit me -- there is an extremely huge need for dental care. 

When I went inside the building and passed the treatment rooms, I felt this need even more. There were hundreds of dental chairs, all to provide the treatment to those waiting in the long line I saw. I overheard a lady that was waiting for treatment say that she was so happy to be receiving dental care, despite waiting outside since 4-5am. With her statement, I could feel the tears she shed. 

And I made my choice. I saw the need for dental care. I saw the drive and motivation of the dentists. And most of all, I felt the emotion and gratitude of the patients. 

That is why I want to do dentistry. This is what I want to do for the rest of my life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment