Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Letter of Recommendations

Letter of Recommendations

The biggest and most important tip I can give to you is to ask EARLY. I cannot emphasize this enough. Professors/dentists/letter writers are very busy people and you want the best letter of recommendation possible. The personal aspects of your application like your personal statement and letter of recommendation will bring your character out more than your GPA and DAT ever will. When admissions commitees look over thousands of applications with similar GPA and DAT, how will they choose which person to invite for an interview? From the life experience and character! These attributes can only be described from your personal statement and recommendations. Extracurricular activites in your application are there to back that up. Again, make sure you invest a lot of time creating a relationship with your professors. They have not only helped me succeed in my academics, but they are the reason why I loved my undergraduate education. 

My Experience

Biology
I took two classes with this professor and at the end of the class I asked him to write a letter for me and he was happy to help. I had a special circumstance in his class where I requested to work alone in a partner project, therby doubling my work-load. I had to present my research proposal on my own and had to write the 10-15 page research proposal on my own. It was a lot of work, but I was happy to be able to research what I was interested and I learned a lot about myself. When it came time for my presentation, I had several comments on things I should fix in the final project. Finally, when this project was completed the professor commended me on my ability to take criticism. We had a 30-minute meeting/interview about why I chose dentistry, and he completed my letter of recommendation a week before the opening of the AADSAS application. 

Physics
I love physics!! I enjoyed this class so much, and had a great time learning the material and going to office hours. I went to almost every office hour meeting and stayed longer when I could to talk to him. I was usually one of the first few people to get to class early so I would say hello and sit in front.  1 week before Spring final week, I asked to meet up in person and ask the same thing I ask every letter writer: "I have a huge favor to ask you. Would you be willing to write a strong letter of recommendation for me for dental school?". During that meeting we talked about his life and my aspirations for my Masters program and dental school. Looking back, many of these one-on-one meetings with my professors were quite similar to dental school interviews. 

Community Service
At the Santa Cruz Homeless Services Center I spent 2-3 months as a weekly volunteer barber. I had always wanted to make an impact on the homeless community because of my undergraduate experience. When I walked down Pacific Avenue for the first time, I saw several homeless individuals on every block and I gave them the cash I had. I knew this wasn't an everlasting impact and I sought other ways in which I could help. When I saw a New York barber that provided free haircuts to the homeless, I wanted to do the same thing for my community. I emailed some of the county officials and asked if it would be okay/legal (and if the businesses didn't mind) for me to cut hair on the sidewalk. I was forwarded to the Homeless Services Center and I began to cut hair for Project Homeless Connect and for the Homeless Services Community. A month before AADSAS opened, I asked the manager at the center to write a letter of recommendation for me. 

Dentist
I can almost guarantee that a letter of recommendation from a dentist is required from every dental school in the U.S. Who knows the dental profession better than a dentist himself/herself? I grew up with my dentists and I began shadowing in the dental office 1-2 years before my application cycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment